Monday, February 23, 2015

The Daily (W)Rite February WK o4

 
wk 04
Well into the 4th week of February and I haven't produced much in the way of creative writing or creative thought. But it's snowing on and off and the sky is mostly white with thick shades of cloudy gray to remind us that it's winter. Foreboding sweeps over me whenever I hear nature's voice. She's not so scary in the spring or in the fall, but her winter voice speaks straight to my old bones and they shake in fear as her brutal, cold words engulf them. My spine is particularly venerable to her touch, and when the spine goes so does the mind; it's only defense is to go to sleep and dream of summer deserts and warm coffee and a blazing sun that can sear the freezing out of me, melt away any thoughts of winter.

10:2opm
Extremely lethargic all day. Trying to stay awake . . . but the body wants what the body wants and if it's sleep . . . my head can't say no. I'm hoping tomorrow I'll be up and about early. DWTS announces their new season around 7am tomorrow morning on Good Morning America and I don't want to miss that! Yes, I know, I can feel you looking askew at me. What's an old geezer doing watching Dancing with the Stars? Can't help it. I enjoy the "stars" learning how to dance, working hard at trying not to be eliminated. It's fun, and I get to vote for who I think has worked the hardest. Yeah, weirdly, I find it fun!
 
Tuesday, February 24, 2o15
We were at the  Old School Bagel Café  when this conversation started:

Woodie: (to David) You're not the best friend in the world but you're my only friend . . .
David: (laughing) Sorry.
Woodie: (laughing also) Yeah, I should get you a Friend Whisper to teach you how to be a better buddy.
(Woodie and David laugh uncontrollably)
 
There was more to the dialogue, but I forgot what else was said. I was just too busy laughing and watching the other people in the café silently turn their heads towards us as if to say, "Why are you laughing so loud! You're in a public place!"


Friday, February 27, 2o15
Spock died today. Actually, his Earthly persona Leonard Nimoy died. Mr. Spock, of course, continues on. I first met Spock back in 1969. I was 21 years old and just back from Vietnam. I was entering the barracks at twenty-nine Palms Marine Corps Base for the first time. There was an old portable, black & white TV and there was Spock and Kirk and Bones arguing over something or other. I hate to say it, but I was drawn to Spock right off. Bones and Kirk were all up in each others face about  . . .  something . . .  and Spock stood there and watched, and when the finally ran out of emotional steam, Spock quietly said something or other that was totally logical. And Kirk and Bones settled down and went along with whatever Spock said. And I decided in the moment I wanted to be a Spock. Sure, I knew I was more like Bones or Kirk. My emotions ran away with me all the time. But it wasn't what I wanted to be. I wanted to be strong, logical, level headed when it came to my emotions. Oh, Spock, Leonard Nimoy, I'm gonna miss you.

Saturday, February 28, 2o15
A very cold snow day today. The world just outside my window looks frozen to death. Makes one feel as if there's no hope for spring and summer to live. But there are a few crazy-brave souls out there bundled up in thick coats, stocking caps and winter gloves laughing at this white death, throwing snowballs at each other . . . none of them would make it in the big leagues.

I use to love going out in the snow to take pics. I'd on three layers (1 t-shirt, 1 long sleeve wool shirt, and a sweater), my heavy-duty winter
coat with padded hoodie, the I Heart NY stocking cap I bought that time I visited Nathan Perez, a pair of really thick, "manly" gloves warm, very warm socks, and my water proof winter boots . . . and of course my jeans.  Yeah, I was all for roaming around in the snow, facing the elements without fear . . . until I slipped on some ice one year and broke my arm. After that . . . well, I sort of lost my wanderlust spirit after that.
 
 
 
 
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment