Monday, September 3, 2018

The Daily {W}rite September 2018 wk o1


Yes, it is rainy. A gentle rain, a shear very fine rain, a silky soft wind carrying the drops to window where they land on the windowsill . . . like angels.  It's a lovely rain that has stroked the sun into a mellow enough mood that it barely shines. The third day of September and it all ready nudging us towards a hardly autumn.
On the Way to see Searching
Scene: David driving west on Robinson. Woodie in the shotgun watching the clouds gathering around the western sky.

David: What?
Woodie: (turning his head toward David) What.
David: Huh?
Woodie: What?
David: Never mind.

The problem with two old people out on their own without a young chaperone to watch over them?
1. Neither one can hear worth a shit. AND their always blaming each other for not TALKING UP! "I AIN'T HARD OF HEARING! YOU JUST AIN'T TALKING LOUD ENOUGH!" "WHAT?!'
2. Neither one can remember what they were saying after they just said it.
3. Freeform thinking:

Woodie: If you make a left here . . . you remember the girl I was dating back in '71?
David: I didn't know you in '71.
Woodie: WE didn't know each other?
David: Yes, we didn't meet until '75.
Woodie: Oh, okay. (pause) But did you know her?
David: KNOW WHO?
Woodie: THE . . . GIRL . . . I . . . WAS . . . DA . . . TING!

4. Old people really get pissed off at each other for being old. And course, "I'm not old; you're old!"

TUESday, September o4, 2o18
It's still raining! And I woke up late! AND I have to mail a bill off, but . . . It's still raining, but . . . I got a stamp, the mailman hasn't come by yet, so I stamp the bill envelope, and (with the bill inside it, of course.) put it on the metal sling that holds out going mail . . . and I hope he picks it up because . . . it's still raining.

I sit here in front of the computer trying to come up with something to say that won't be boring or too revealing . . . but I don't want to lie . . . but somethings are best left in the closet and not taken out in public. I look out the window and yes . . . still raining. Wait, I don't want go there again. {smiles} I may cut this entry a little short. I gotta sudden desire to write a poem Yeah, maybe I'll do that. Later, amigos!

WEDnesday, September o5, 2o18
BIG surprise today! David called at 12:00pm and asked if I wanted him to drive me to wash my clothes. "You haven't washed clothes in 2 years, " he said. I countered with, "Oh, it hasn't been that long!" To be honest, it's probably closer to a year . . . or so. Anyway, I declined but said I'd let him drive me to the laundromat  . . . tomorrow. But today, I needed to go to Walmart for nicotine gum and a few things. This was cool with David because he needed rice and yogurt. "I've been living on rice and yogurt for a few months now." David said this with the deep sincerity of a murderer confessing to the crime, and I responded with a shocked look like I was reading about it from the newspaper. Headline: David Slemmons Eats Nothing But Rice And Yogurt!

Got to Walmart without much trouble even though it was raining. Got there and I went off to get nicotine gum and . . . there was no nicotine gum! WHAT? Well, there was gum but not the generic brand I use. So, what to do? I was in a panic! How the hell am I expected to get through the rest of my life without nicotine gum! But we found out that they had moved my brand of NG to the checkout lane that sells tobacco products.





1 comment:

  1. I want to be the barely younger companion along for stories of adventures, which are surely the adventures themselves.

    ReplyDelete