Saturday, December 22, 2018

The Daily {W}rite December 2018 wk 04


Aaaaah! The last week in the month of December . . . Oh! It just popped into my consciousness! It is also the last month in the year 2o18! Madness how time can creep up on ya, stroll by ya as if you weren't even there. Our lives. Not even the splinter of a shadow to time.

I've been sluggish all day. Did get out of my robe, but never set a foot out the front door. Kept dozing off all day. The landlord got me a space heater for the apartment, some kind of industrial looking thing on a 2x4 platform and . . . it heats the apartment for shit. Woke up in the middle of the night freezing! Legs, arms, sticking of the blanket . . . My back screaming from the pain . . . Got up and turned the stove on. Couldn't get back to sleep. But like I was saying sleep kept jumping on me making me crawl into sleep for maybe a half hour at a time . . . all day long.

Sunday, Dec. 23, 2o18
David's sick. Not unusual at our ages to get feel a little punkie after being out and about in the cold weather. Yeah, I'd like to blame it all on the cold but we both get worn out pretty fast no matter the season. David's got another doctor's appointment on Wednesday the day after Christmas. David's my best friend. We both sort of take care of each other. That's what old, bachelor types do. We sort of team up on life hoping that when one is sick the other is well enough to take care of the sicko. {smiles}

10:30pm
I've started work on the first poem for 2019, which I should have ready to post by New Year's Day. My God! The new year begins in nine days! I got lots to do . . . the poem . . . top ten movie list . . . Much to do!

Anyway, would you like to see a little bit of the new poem? Remember, it's a work in progress:

A wintery blister gathering inside my head,
every limb of thought, every memory
collected and store away in the cluttered
memory closet. Each New Year a promise
to clean up in there and, of course I never do . . .

No, no, I told you. just a taste. I'm really gonna spend some time on my poetry this next year, and if I can, get my "work" published and heard by more people. {smiles}

Monday, December 24, 2o18 ~CHRISTMAS EVE~
Well, here it is . . . Christmas Eve. And I've fallen into the same mood as many of my Facebook friends . . . I'm depressed. The Christmas Blues some people call it. It's not unusual, really. All of us are carrying around in our subconscious back-pocket a Jacob Marely like ghost or two (for some of us many, many more than two measly old ghosts! ) that stays pretty much undercover until some moron TV station executive decides to show Alistair Sims' 1951 version of A Christmas Carol, which even now at 70 years old makes me cry  and start thinking about how sad, lonely and down right icky my whole life has been and will be forever and ever.

Tuesday, December 25, 2o18 ~CHRISTMAS DAY~
Christmas Day. Finally winding down. As I said above for a lot of us, many of us older folks, Christmas tends to be a  . . . very depressing time of year. As I read the sadness of one of my Facebook friends . . . who shut herself away today, didn't see anyone, didn't watch TV or even call anyone to just say Merry Christmas . . . I got to thinking the book, A Christmas Carol, and how it really does express the concept of "The Christmas Blues." Yeah Dickens hit it right on the head with his story about ghosts, how memory is the real ghost that haunts us. That haunts us all.

But I have to say, Christmas Day this year was for me a very joyous time. I went with my friend David and his son Michael to have Christmas dinner/lunch with Brendan and Mabry Agnew (Mabry is David's daughter) 
and their daughter, Marian, and Brendan's parents and his sister who brought a "boyfriend" to the feat. And of course, Robin was there in a chair, quiet as a shadow . . . very sick she is. I'm hoping she'll be on her way to a full recovery soon.

And yes, there were a few dramas, something that was being cooked was not cooking fast enough, some people were a bit slow getting to dinner on time and someone left the door open and Alistair (the dog) got out! But he was captured and returned to his pen without getting hit by a car or killing a cat or something . . . and the dramas were short lived and we all sat back, opened presents. The presents were given out one at a time in order of age, which meant that I was last each round! But that I was the older person there did not kill my Christmas spirit . . . And the food! Wow! What a feast! I mean, really, it was delicious. It was a good day, a good celebration of life with a group of good friends. You know, this is all I'm going to write for this year. I won't start writing on the blog until 2019. So as Tiny Tim said, "God bless us, every one." {smiles}






No comments:

Post a Comment