Friday, November 9, 2018

The Daily {W}rite November 2018 wk o2


Went to see a movie last night. I know! We don't usually go to the movies at night! But since today is Art Walk and we are old . . . er we thought that it would be good not to do the our usual matinee and then try to make it through 2 or 3 hours of Art Walk. We saw the movie The Girl in the Spider's Web and . . . well, not sure it was worth late night drive to and from the Warren.
11:51pm
Well, I'm pretty beat so I won't be writing much tonight about Art Walk except to say: It was BLOODY DAMN COLD tonight. More tomorrow about this month's Art Walk and Bedlam Saturday. What is Bedlam? Ah! Tune in tomorrow and find out. {smiles}

SATurday, November 1o, 2o18
As much as I am a true spirit of Norman-town, it is just too cold for me to be out celebrating Bedlam. Ah, I haven't forgotten my promise to you, dear reader. Bedlam is the annual match up between OU and OSU . . . you do know I'm talking football, right?

5:53pm
So, the Bedlam game? Wow! Right as I'm writing this it's 41-41! Great game for watching BUT if you're a fan of either team . . . a nerve-wracking mess! Probably
gonna watch the end of the game and get back to you when it is over.

7:54am
What a heart attack of a game! Final score: OSU 47, OU 48! Yes! and to make it even sweeter . . . our defense, the one that everybody has been smacking around for not being any good, WON the game with forcing the only turnover of the game AND stopping a two point conversion with 1:03 on the clock! Yeaaaaa, us!

P.S. I've got a lot of pics of Game Day. Tons of them. The one on the right is from Sept. because . . . wait a minute . . . am I repeating myself? I mean, I already told you how COLD it was outside . . . wait a minute . . . did I say it was too COLD to go out? (Checks posts above.) Yes, I did and yes I told you that I didn't go out for the game . . . what was I saying? Oh! That's why I recycled this pic (on the right) from Sept. It was too COLD for me to go out today and take new pics.

SUNday, November 11, 2o18
Thick in it. No reason to fight as I've always fought at it when its giant, invisible hands grab me 'round the head, yes,  big hands crushing the inside . . . yes, from the inside of my head, they grab  me,  scramble my thoughts, my memory, neatly knead my consciousness into a dough . . . a soft, pliable, wet dough.

There's no reason to be found for this torture I do unto myself, no hat to wear against the rain, no coat warm and soft enough to ward off the chill to my limbs, my whole old body, my shoes too holey to protect my already blistered feet from the wraith the carpet wages on the bottoms of my toes.

Okay, so my dark, creative impulse has dried itself out. Sorry you had to see that and the picture that goes with it. But it is necessary sometimes to allow the evil to "exorcise" itself out of my POEtic mood (see what I did there?), or should I call it my LOVEcraft crush on the morbid side of my artistic-self.

MONday, November 12,2o18
It's a sad day but a glorious day . . . Stan Lee died on this November 12th at the age of 95 (1922-2o18). Well, you can figure out IF you were ever a kid why the "sad" in the beginning statement above. Stan Lee was Marvel Comics, at least to me and billions, may I say that, of kids who just ate up Spider-Man and all the other super hero characters AND super villain characters that Marvel produced.
It was always Stan Lee at the head of it . . . I felt that way because he was in every Marvel Bullpen Bulletin that I read as a kid, a little treat from Stan. Every issue Stan was there answering questions from fans and telling us  all about up and coming issues. Stan Lee was Marvel Comics to us. AND do I dare say that Stan Lee has more appearances in the Marvel movies of the 21st century than any other actor in the Marvel Movie Universe? Stan Lee was my literary father. He guided me through "kid" years, gave me hope that even though I was always the kid that the school bullies would pick on whenever they felt a need to torment someone . . . sooner or later I would grow-up and become Spider-Man. Of course, that never happened, and if I became a Marvel character at all I would be a minor, minor villain. But that's not Stan's fault. He tried to show me the would to adulthood by creating characters that were not JUST super heroes but human beings my age and going through the same types of things I was going through as a child living in L.A. Yes, Marvel Comics brought humanity to the super hero character. They weren't just super heroes, the were human beings with human problems just like me . . . us.

Oh, the glorious part of my opening statement? What a wonderful life Stan Lee shared with us. Stan WAS a super hero to us, us kids, we adults. If I could accomplish just one moment that I felt glorious about, one moment to stand side by side with the millions of glorious moments that Stan Lee gave to us in the form of comic book, bullpen pages, movies?! I would think of my own life as being glorious. Excelsior, dear friend, "Excelsior!"




No comments:

Post a Comment