Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The Dailiy {W}rite March 20, 2018 wk o4

Tuesday,
According to the calendar March 20th is the first day of spring. But don't take the calendar's word for it. My Facebook friends have been sending me HAPPY SPRING DAY! messages all day long. Unfortunately, my sinuses are telling me it's still winter there. And mother nature is agreeing with my nose, sending  razor sharp winds cutting right through the window glass, the walls of my apartment, forcing me into a hoodie and thick socks because the wall heater too thinks it's spring and refuses to turn on!

Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Yesterday was International Poetry Day. I tried to write something specifically for it in celebration, but I couldn't get a writing groove going. My muse has been out of town for about a year and she's not returning any of my calls.  Writing poetry is getting more difficult. Age, I guess. I know. I'm not suppose to mention anything negative about getting old . . . er, but I just can't "feel" the words much anymore. I can rewrite some of the old poetry from 2005-10 pretty well. But the new stuff just doesn't want to formulate in my mind. It's a bit of a bummer.

Even writing the blog is becoming a chore that I really don't want to  do much anymore. But I keep trying. I feel like I need to do something creative. Something.

Thursday, March 22, 2018
Okay, so . . . Damn! The flickering pick drives my eyes crazy. I think I better trade it in for something else. yeah, that's better.

We wen to Cheddar's for David has with his kids. Met a waitress there, Alissa. And as always I joked with the waitperson and she laughed and I laughed at my joke about how I want my ices tea . . . "Unsweetened, no straw, no spoon, no piece of lemon on the lip of the glass . . . just a cup, ice and unsweetened inside!"  My friends always roll their eyes every time I do this little tradition.

After dinner, I started a conversation with Alissa . . . or maybe she started one with me. I'm not sure which way it went. Anyway I found out she was from Sulfur, Oklahoma. She was at OU studying . . . deafness? She said some other word  for it and I can't remember what it was.  Anyway, I found out her older sister (23) is deaf and that was why she was studying . . . whatever it was she was studying. She was very interesting to talk to, and it seems that she was interested in what I had to say though I didn't say much, I just listened.

Friday, March 24, 2018
So, this morning . . . yes, I said this morning  . . . David and I was out our respective doors and on the road to Vintage Stock with a box full of old DVDs that I wanted to sell. Yeah, cash is a little hard to get these days. I need a real job. But until then I thought I'd pick up a few bucks by selling some old movies that I bought over the years and barely if ever watch anymore. Had about fifty or so and was looking forward having maybe $80 in my pocket . . . but no. Turned out that $30 was all I could get. Okay, better than nothing.

After that, got frozen yogurt with LOTS of fresh fruit in it. What a treat that is! mmm. After that off to Yuyu's for very over priced coffee ($6 for never empty cup, but I couldn't even get through one!). Ran into some old friends of David's, I knew a few of them. And everybody's talking about the good old days . . . And this friend of ours sees my Captain America t-shirt and says, "I really don't appreciate t-shirts that advertise male aggression." The t-shirt had a Captain America logo on it similar to the picture on the right. Anyway, I didn't just bite her head off like I might have done on a bad day. "So, what do you think of Wonder Woman?" I asked her. "Oh, I really liked the movie!" "Oh?" I had her now! "Even with all the 'female aggression' in it?" And the subject just changed to a discussion of the new Wonder Woman movie. Just like that. No anger on either of our parts. Just talking about the lack of positive role model images in the movie. I was so happy with myself for not getting all huffy about male aggression line, but not caving in to personal prejudice about men and patriotism. Yeah, I said it. I'm a patriot. But not in the conservative bastardization of the term, which isn't patriotism but an excuse for doing evil things to American citizens who don't agree with the conservative point of view.

Sunday, March 25, 2018
Yesterday was a day of "revolution" in good ol' America by the most unlikely of revolutionaries high school and middle school children. They came into Washington, D.C. 800,000 strong and not just students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, students from everywhere and not just victims of mass murder.  It was glorious to watch these young heroes stand-up and say, No more." The battle was won yesterday, but the war has just started. The conservatives were out in full tilt spin mode on the cable news stations very kindly (yeah, right)  denouncing the movement these kids started up from scratch, trying as best as they could to shrug off the even as if it were nothing. What is nothing is the conservative gun lovers who put their AR-15s ahead of the life of children.
















No comments:

Post a Comment