Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Daily [W]Rite April 2o15 WK o1

The Daily [W]Rite
wk o1

Okay. I Love the idea of an American occasion called April Fools' Day. The idea is really cool, but I don't care for the "celebration" of it. Basically, to be a participant in April Fools' Day you have to be either the person pulling the prank or the unwilling victim of the prank. I was rather surprised that the term April Fool refers to both parties involved in the prank: the prankster and the pranked. Seems to me all the rewards of pranking someone goes to the prankster. All the humiliation goes to the one who was too trusting when is closest friend says, "Pull my finger."
 
When I was just a kid, one of my parents favorite shows on TV was Candid Camera. It was a mild manner prank show. No harm to it. One of my favorite bits was "Hand in the Mail Box." They set up this phony mail box, you know, the big ones on just about every corner in my neighborhood . . . Yeah, trust me, I'm not lying. Anyway, the box was big enough to put a man in. They set the box and man on a busy foot traffic corner. People would walk by and think, "Hey, I'll mail that letter I've been carrying around for two weeks." They drop the letter in letter drop and the unseen man tosses it back out! Everyone was startled by the letter seemly to fly out by its own will, but no one was frightened. One man merely picked the letter up and reinserted it into the mail box. Then it flew out again and a human reached out of the box and gave the Good Samaritan the wagging finger! then, the man, the crowd that had gathered around, and me and my dad, who never missed Candid Camera, laughed joyfully at the "cute" prank.

And that's the problem with 21st century prank shows. They're no cute, but often cruel and frightening. There was one I remember from around 2oo2 or so: Grocery store parking lot, SUV parked at the curb, a guy comes out carrying groceries and a baby in a toddler's car seat. Man puts the car seat (with the baby still in it) on top of the roof of the SUV, loads up the groceries and starts to drive off! Well, of course, people started yelling at the SUV driver, "Your baby's on the roof! YOUR BABY'S ON THE ROOF!" People ran screaming and waving their arms at the SUV trying to get the drivers attention. He finely stops and confesses to the people, "It's just a joke. It's not a real baby, it's a doll!" Well, Ha-Ha Fucking-Ha! The people in the parking lot did laugh. The canned laughter on the TV set thought it was hilarious too. But I thought it was horrifying! Maybe I'm just old but these days a lot of the practical jokes that people pull on each other are just . . . cruel. So, long story short . . . that's why I don't participate in AFD anymore. Practical jokes are no longer funny. They're just mean.

Friday, April o3, 2o15
A wonderful adventure today. My Facebook friend who owns The Diner sent us all a mysterious invite: Come to The Diner at 4 pm Friday. very strange since The Diner closes at 2 pm. But wait! Even stranger we found out that our favorite eatery was closed for . . . TWO DAYS before!  “Curiouser and curiouser!” So, talked David into going with me (okay, he drove as always) and when we got there . . . Main St. was blocked off by police. And there were camera crews and all kinds of local folks standing around in the middle of Main St. by The Diner and then . . .  A fire truck pulled up! What the hell was going on? The front door and bay window was blocked out with butcher paper, an ominous hand written sign that said Please do NOT enter hang on the front door.

Well, it turned out that The Diner had been chosen for a Food Network makeover! Yep! remodeled the whole thing. They even changed up the menu, I heard. I hope they kept my Swiss and mushroom burger. Well, I didn't get to go in because . . . well, they got started late with the filming and David and me got a little bit too tired to wait for the grand opening. But what a wonderful thing for Bonnie and them. And a wonderful thing for we patrons of The Diner!

Saturday, April o4, 2o15
Before we went to The Diner, we had to go pick up David's computer at the computer Doctor's store. Getting of the car David noticed something odd, "Why's that big window have a dog painted on it." Sure enough there was painted on the bay window of the computer store the huge head of an Alaskan Husky! We were both puzzled.
This particular computer store is a tech geek's paradise! Cluttered with all kinds of computer parts, a bit dusty, darkly lit . . . and sitting behind a makeshift desk a young computer geek who looked like he just walked off the set of The Big Bang Theory. David asked for his computer and the kid disappeared into a backroom (a shady looking backroom!What was going back there? Marijuana cultivation?)  and reappeared with David's computer in hand. "That'll be $69.00," said the kid . . . And all of a sudden out of that backroom ran the biggest damn dog I have ever seen, an Alaskan Malamute! A beautiful, beautiful animal.

Right behind this playful, giant ran the dog's owner, the guy who also owned the store. It appears the Malamute wanted to go outside for a run, he ran for the door and stopped, turned around and barked a pleading yelp. His owner said softly to him, like he was talking to a little kid, "Not now, I gotta take care of business first." Another painful yelp from the Godzilla size pup.

We learned that the owner of the store had "rescued" the Malamute from a Texas shelter. And I assumed that the owner had to be rich because this damn dog probably ate like a small horse!

Sunday, April o5-2o15
Here it is almost four on Sunday morning and I'm still wide . . .  pretty wide . . . awake. I got to get up by nine to go have lunch with David and his kids. Even if I were capable of wandering over to the couch and lying down . . . I'd probably just stare at the ceiling for another hour or so, so why even try? Maybe my head can think of something worth   . . . whoa! Big crash of thunder just now coming out of the east! Give me a sec to look out the window . . . Nope, no rain as of yet. Often enough rain can lull me to sleep. I count the raindrops like some folk count sheep. If it starts to rain, I promise I'll shut off the computer and let the welcome rain lullaby me into a dreaming state.  Hmmm, dreaming. Not too sure that I dream much anymore. I wonder why that is? I've read a few books on dreaming and all the deam "experts" say we always dream, but we don't always remember it. Well, that's a hell of a thing. If I dream I want to remember that I did so. It's kind of like a vacation, you know? If you go on a vacation (you know, like Hawaii or something) you'd want to remember it. That's why you always take a damn camera with you. Hmm, maybe they should invent a camera for dreams. yeah, a dream camera that only works when you are asleep. Then if you dream, you'll at least have photographic proof to show your friends. {smiles} Hey, what do you know? I think I'm finally ready for beddy-bye! And it's just started to rain! 'Night, ya'll.

Monday, April o6, 2o15
Hell! I for got tis was April and not march! Crazy brain I got. Watching Wisconsin beat the "Devil" out of Duke! I was a great week last week. Afraid I don't have a lot to say this 6th day in April. But I don't always need to quote poetic or be well- deep philosophical all . . . the bloody . . . time. Do I? I did start on a new poem. Just a little thing for a Facebook friend. She read it, loved it, but thought I could add more to it.

Late at night
 
I wonder why the sparrows weep so early in the morning.
I suppose like me they just can't sleep and use the darkness
to complain, or shout, or just cry about their troubles.
 
The moon doesn't seem to mind listening.
The stars too are quite comforting
to all who chose to stay awake
instead of crawling off into a dream.
 
The black dogs next door wrestle in the shadows
that the amber street light casts upon the lawn,
My crow spirit sings along with the owl that hides
somewhere nearby, somewhere in this lovely dark.

Well, well. As long as it has taken me to post this poem the DUKE came back . . . and WON!

Tuesday, April o7, 2o15
11:36 pm. Night has beaten the day out of the sky. Nothing up there but a brood of free ranging clouds. Now and then the moon slips through the gray masses and smiles upon the Earth. Not sure the Earth even notices. Too busy it is preparing itself for bed. As strange as it seems
I can hear a bird, a sparrow, I think,  shouting at the darkness. Trains shout too in a three horn harmony, but only when its early, very early morning. I'm not sure why they wait so long to butcher the silence. Perhaps, they get  a kick out of disturbing the neighbor's big, black Labrador who loves to add an off-key, soprano howl to the train's mix of horns and squealing wheels, and the sturdy drum like beat the railroad crossing lays down.

Sleep has finally caught up with me. It's shaking my eye lids shut. I should crawl onto the couch and start dreaming. Not sure my mind will give into my body's desire to rest. I still have a half of cup of coffee to drink, and I want to post this blog on Facebook before I even think about the next day and all the chores my bike and I need to do tomorrow. Cholesterol pills, apples, and nicotine gum is on my mental list of things to get.  There's something else I need to get, but I have no idea what it is. I'll remember after I get back from Walmart. That's the way it always is with me. My memory is getting worse, and my bicycle has no memory at all. {smiles}









 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment