Monday, May 26, 2014

May The Daily (W)Rite wk4

Sunday

Spent most of the week working on the birthday poem and a movie review so I didn't keep up with The Daily (W)Rite. Sorry about that. Also, I worked on a few "dark" pictures that I thought to post here. I feel a little weird posting them on Facebook. You know, A bit weird. BUT posting here I don't think would be a problem.

I've always enjoyed the dark sides of art. Love reading, writing and creating art pieces with a bit of "edge" to them.

 Had a great birthday on Friday. 66 years old. My friend Moe and his family took me out for dinner and a movie. It was really fun. Eat a lot of popcorn that night. Maybe too much! Anyway, it was a good, quiet celebration. I'll write more later on. Promise.

 
 
Thursday, May 29, 214
 
Sorry that I have been away from the blog for a few days. Maya Angelou died yesterday. A great American poetic. Yes, she was. I didn't really know her work until 2o11 when I had a poetry class over at Oklahoma City university. Here's one of her more famous pieces for you to look at:
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
by Maya Angelou

The free bird leaps
on the back of the wind
and floats downstream
till the current ends
and dips his wings
in the orange sun rays
and dares to claim the sky....

But a bird that stalks
down his narrow cage
can seldom see through
his bars of rage
his wings are clipped and
his feet are tied
so he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings
with fearful trill
of the things unknown
but longed for still
and his tune is heard
on the distant hill for the caged bird
sings of freedom

The free bird thinks of another breeze
and the trade winds soft through the sighing trees
and the fat worms waiting on a dawn-bright lawn
and he names the sky his own.

But a caged bird stands on the grave of dreams
his shadow shouts on a nightmare scream
his wings are clipped and his feet are tied
so he opens his throat to sing

The caged bird sings
with a fearful trill
of things unknown
but longed for still
and his tune is heard
on the distant hill
for the caged bird
sings of freedom.
 
 
David and me went over to the Gray Owl yesterday for coffee. We were suppose to go for his physical therapy around 1:30 PM, but he was feeling poorly. Just way out of energy. I worry about him. Hell, I worry about us both. We are a pretty sickly pair.
We go over to the Owl quite a bit for coffee and such. I always take my camera with me. You never know when you see someone you like to get a shot of. Most times I try to get candid shots of people. Don't like the posed stuff. People get too self-conscious if they know a stranger is taking a picture. Not sure taking folks pictures without their knowledge is highly ethical, but I do it anyway. No, not a pervy, just like to take pictures to play around with on the editing sites on my computer. I usually don't take more than one shot. Don't need to most times because I can play around a it with the image. On the left is some of my work. The interesting thing about the Owl is that people don't really talk to each other.


Well, some do, of course, but most are busy on the computers. Doing what? Who knows. It is a place for students, though. I guess they're doing homework or something. But most are just Facebooking or E-mailing or something like that. It's a shame in a way. People should talk to each other more not spend all day staring at a computer screen. Yeah, but look who's calling the introvert and introvert. All I do must days is watch TV, if I'm not doing that I'm on the computer.
I really like this pics I took. I LOVE the manipulation I can do with the editing sites I'm on. Think I'm getting better at it.
 
Tomorrow (or today, actually) I have to figure my Medicare and see if the VA can take me on as an out-patient. I got sick last December and again in January and the Medicare didn't pick up a bit of it! So, maybe the VA will help me out. I am a Vet. but I was always under the impression that they only worked with Vets. whose illness was long term and contracted during active service. My fellow Vets., Monte and Moe says that's not true. I'm hoping to get some medication for my COPD.
 
 Saturday, May 31, 2o14
Well, I've got about 30 minutes before the end of this month. Thought I better get a little writing in. I want out tonight. Yeah, big surprise! When I was younger and living in Norman Town, I would go out all the time on the weekends. Well, of course, I was drinking and chasing the girls back then. Now? Not so much. I did decide I needed to get out and try taking some night shots. Night shots are difficult because you have to constantly change the settings. But I did get a few cool ones.

I've been working on this poem about the P.A.B. who went on a killing spree because girls didn't like him . . . . Boo-hoo! I'm taking my time with it. Doing a lot of rewriting. Here's what I got so far:

Section 8

I’m full of shadows tonight
the thick kind the itchy wintery-sweater kind   

 Folding my white socks up into tiny flag shapes
arranging them in straight lines along the  back of the couch

Too many bloody dreams the gunman has
his face baked pink underneath the California sun

A gentle breeze sways the palms behind him
a car rushes pass a  momentary windshield glare

The killer blinks once twice three times
stainless steel eyes burning crazy brown

A winky-wink to the camera
a lifeless smile blooms then fades

My apartment’s air-conditioner
screams summer in Oklahoma

California pleasant weather year around
‘cept on those nights when the monsters come out
 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment