Saturday, March 1, 2014

March The Daily (W)Rite wk 1

The New Daily (W)Rite

wk o1

 Saturday, March o1

   Yes, Saturday. The first of March. Not an exceptional day. Cold, yes. A little drizzly out their in Norman Town. Not really wet, more slimy than rainy. Sort of like a snake. Not even close to the entrance of the lion that someone, somewhere, some time ago labeled the month as being. But it's understandable. The weather patterns are changing drastically . . . but NOT due to Global Warming (smile).
  
   Days are beginning to fade into each other. Months are too. I'm finding it difficult to keep up 
with time these days. One minute, an hour, a day . . . they're all blending together forming a giant blob of aging existence. Hmmm, okay. A bit too heavy handed with the bleak imagery, the metaphors, the similes. But I'm a poet struggling to find his real voice. So, going overboard with the phrasing . . . should be expected.

   If you haven't guessed yet, dear, reader, I am feeling a bit fragile today. Well, no surprise there. Fragile seems to be a constant state within me. But today . . . well, today . . . The past is creeping up on me taking its sweet time too rummaging inside my head looking for . . .  what? Actually, it is probably more truthful to say that I'm stalking the past because the past can't do anything . . . it's the past. Only I can conjure up all the misery of my life . . . or should I say, "lives?"

   I'm a bit worried about my friend, David. Has had a lot of different surgeries and "procedures" these last two weeks. Had a couple root canals . . . a battle with cancer . . .  cirrhosis of the liver . . . and just getting old. Time hasn't been that kind to either of us. Or maybe we just haven't been that kind to time.

Sunday, March o2, 2o13

Okay, so here's the big scoop for Norman Town today  . . . It is frigging cold! Yesterday it did climb up to somewhere in the 50s. But today? Holy crap! 14 degrees, snow, sleet, THUNDER and LIGHTING? The way you love me is frightening! Yea, I'm well aware that other states have it much worse. But no matter what it is in Minnesota, Alaska, New York . . . IT'S FRIGGING COLD HERE!

It is rather nice to sit all day in my semi-warm apartment (I do have my ratty blue sweater on, of course.), the coffee is warm and the view from my computer table window is rather exciting. Yes, I'm excited about watching people suffer through the weather. The neighbor with the very cute girlfriend spent about a half hour outside (thick gloves, winter hoodie) scraping an inch or so of ice off ALL the windows of his girlfriend's car. She hid out

in the apartment while her man slaved. So much for equality. AND as usual, I saw Bicycle Girl riding her mountain bike down the snow and covered street. I should change her name to Mail Girl 'cause nothing stops her from riding that damn bike!

So, what have I been doing all day? Nothing too exciting. Didn't get up until 11 AM. Yes, I know, I'm a mess. I need to get up earlier and DO SOMETHING. I haven't felt much like it. I have been writing a bit (as you can tell). Not just here. I have been "think" writing. You know what that is? It's just writing sort of stream of consciousness only. . . conscious that I'm doing it. I've come to the conclusion that I suck as a poet. I'm out to make myself less of a sucky poet. So, I write a lot and watching how I write it. I am going to be an important poet! So, I need to work for it.
Monday, March o3, 2014
 
Spent most of yesterday (12:30 PM to 11 PM) watching the Oscars festivities. I find it odd that I love shows about fashion considering I have no fashion sense at all. T-shirts, jeans, sweaters and chucks that's about all the fashion I care for when it comes to my personal dress . . . Oh! And hats. I do love a good hat. So, I'm a simple man, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I do love watching celebrities during the award season, I love listening to the self-proclaimed fashionistas gab about what the "beautiful people are wearing. And I DO love the Oscars because . . . well, I love movies, actors, directors . . . all of the performers in performing arts.
 
What I don't like, however, are all the criticism I heard today about last nights Oscars ceremony. All these wannabe artists, all those political movers and shakers had nothing but distain for a show I found to be very pleasant and fun. The worst was Rush Limbaugh as usual.  He disrespected the winner for best picture, 12 Years a Slave, without even seeing the movie. Why? Well, because Rush like a lot of other people knew that this movie would win ONLY because it had the word "slave" in it. And we know what he meant by that. But to be fair, just as many people on the Left had things to say about it too. MSNBC "experts" said it was good that it won, but there's still not enough movies made with African-Americans in the lead roles. Both sides got highly political about the Oscars and Hollywood. Which is the way it needs to be right now. Equality in America for ALL her citizens won't be achieved unless we keep fighting over it. But some time in the future the color of skin, the gender of a person, the political beliefs of individuals won't be as big a deal as it is now. Things are changing on both sides of the argument. It just isn't going to happen overnight.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment