Thursday, August 8, 2013

August 08, 2o13 The New Daily (W) Rite Week 2

WK2

 Thursday, August o8, 2o13
It's a warm day. Not killer hot. But warm. Took a bike ride up to Walmart to get nicotine gum and a DVD, Cloud Atlas. Sweated a lot both up and back... but you know... I felt good. Good to be out peddling away... riding a bicycle is freeing... and enslaving... both. It's a good day for writing too... and riding... but don't do both at the same time. (smile)
 
I'm loving the Norman Town weather this summer. Lots of sporadic rain when it shouldn't be anything but HOT. We got thunderstorms and  the threat of flash flooding tonight... I can do without the flash flood... but a rain is always nice. Hope it gets here soon. I hate waiting up for it every night. Usually the summer rain doesn't pull into Norman until after 1 AM, and I am, of course, obligated to wait for it or wake up when it arrives. That's what happened last night when it thundered in. The lightning flashes through the window popped my eyes wide open.

10:57 pm
I had a few weird dreams last night. One had to do with a serial killer who knocked out his victims and then set the house on fire! Too much news and too many episodes of The Bridge wartched, I think. In the second one I was walking with a friend and a BIG dog came up to us and growled! I just patted it on the head and it changed it's attitude, allowed me to pet him. The first two dreams really didn't bother me. But the third one had me working back at OU teaching acting. That made me a little sad. I guess I really want to be back in the classroom. I don't think that's going to happen.

Friday, August o9, 2o13
David called about 7 pm tonight and asked if I wanted to go to art walk with him. And hell, yeah! So we walked around for awhile and saw a lot of art and lots of beautiful people. I'll post a lot more tomorrow when I have some pics.   
The Art Walk is a fun thing that Norman Arts Council promotes. It's a chance for the community to get out and see what the local artists are up to. They have an art gallery where they feature local artists. There are also a great many artist's studios that are open to the public. They have street musicians performing and a lot of the sandwich shops and bars host bands. This evening the main gallery had a dance company performing. It's one of the first performing arts exhibitions I have seen. I'd like to include some poetry readings if I can get some folks together. I'm also hoping to display some of my poetry and art work at a later date. I came across a local silkscreen shop that's pretty reasonable. I'm thinking about getting some of my poetry printed on t-shirts! that could be fun and maybe profitable.

Most of the pictures I take are of artists and patrons. I like to take them without people knowing. Most of the pictures here are candid shots, but a few are of tonight's dance performance. As I said, it's a fun night. It happens on the second Friday each month. You should get out and see it all.

Monday, August 12, 2o13
Been going to ground since Friday night. Shut my door to the world, so to speak. Haven't done much but sleep till noon, eat, watch TV. Waking up is difficult. I don't want to get out of bed, I want to sleep forever. But I do get up after an hour or so of arguing with myself. And here I am. Writing my blog about me whom  I am finding rather dull today... well, every day. I've made up my mind that I need to start doing... something. Just do... something. Practical things at first: clean the house, wash my close... take a bath... get up and not spend all day in BED! Not necessarily in that order.  First off I probably need to get out of bed... before attempting anything else.

Tuesday, August 13, 2o13
It's been raining all day. Well, at least it looks like it has. I slept through most of it. Didn't get to bed until around 5:30 am. I enjoy the rain. It's a nice time to write. It calms me, I guess. Why? I don't know. I just feel better about things. Not happy, no, never that. I just feel more at peace with living when there's a nice, cool rain outside my window. I write a lot about the rain. Again, don't know why.
A guy I knew back in undergraduate school, a guy I liked, died a few months ago. Steven Vincent. I just found out about it yesterday. No one seems to know what happened. He had been "sick" for awhile I'm told. Usually when people say "sick," they mean cancer. Don't know for sure. Vince was 56 years old. People from my past keep dying... all around me. My friend Nate called yesterday. He lost his job. They just kicked him out... just like that. He and his wife had just hired a contractor to do some expansion on their house (two kids from his wife's first marriage).  They had to call the contractor to cancel the work. And on Facebook someone sent me some pictures of a show that one of the folks who was responsible for me being fired from NMHU directed with the caption, "She is such a good director!" Oh, bother. I deleted it and went on with my life... feeling a bit less lively than before... but still living.

Anyway, the rain is nice. Makes the worldly problems a little less important... At least for a bit of a while.

Wednesday, August 14, 2o13
Last day of writing, August, Week 2. I went out for ice cream today at Braum's! Mmmm. I shouldn't do it... well, very often. They are looking for part time workers. It's about a block and a half from the apartment... pay's $8.00 an hour. I did promise myself back in 1999 when I got the teaching gig at NMHU that I would NEVER work fast food again! But I need a little extra cash. I am living okay on the $1,188.00 a month I get from SS and my retirement fund... but a little more wouldn't hurt. I'd like to be able to buy a few more clothes... and be prepared if anything happens where I need cash fast. I'd only work maybe 3 days a week. So, that wouldn't be too bad. Besides, I really need to get out of the house! Well, I'll write more tomorrow to start off Week 3 of August. Night, my reader(s).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment